Marvel's The Invaders
“Table rules” are the little rules of conduct that pop up during any roleplaying game. I have a handful that have held me in good stead over the years.
- Be considerate. This is a social activity, and is just as much an excuse to hang out and chat as it is to play the game. I don’t require that people not talk or not check their phones during the game, but I do ask that you be considerate. Respond when it’s your turn, and keep off-topic chatter from making it hard for other players to participate.
- Keep in touch. We’re all busy people, and sometimes things happen. Try to be on time if you can, but it’s more important to stay in touch with me so I know what to expect. I can move things around if you’re going to miss a game when I have some notice.
- Attendance. I’ve tried to structure this game so that it can run even if a couple of people show up. Still, I’d appreciate a heads-up if you can’t make it. If attendance drops too low and I have some notice, I can try to reschedule.
- Track your information. If I give you a piece of information or a bonus to something, I ask that you track that along with the usual things like Health loss and Karma expenditure. I run a fairly improvisational style, which means that sometimes I forget what I said ten minutes ago. If everyone tracks their own information, then you can remind me when I need to take something into account. If you rely on me, it’s probably going to get lost. (It’s one of the reasons why I put everything on a wiki like this — so I don’t forget important details.)
- One-step rebuttal. If I make a call or mention a detail you don’t agree with, feel free to bring it up right then. I might have forgotten something (see above). If, however, I don’t agree with your push-back, that’s the end of it during the session. Afterward, I’m happy to discuss it in more detail. If it’s a legitimate concern, I may make a new house rule.